Welcome to PEOPLE Pets!

From diet to stomach bugs, talk about dog health here

Top 5 Best Dog Foods of 2012

Postby katzand » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi:

I am wondering if folks have an opinion on any of the dog foods listed in the Top 5 Best Dog Foods - Reviewed for 2012 http://petslady.com/articles/top_5_dog_foods_dog_food_reviews_2012 I just read

They are saying that Taste Of The Wild Dog Food is their number one pick. I have tried and like Blue Buffalo Dog food and now wondering if I should switch?

All thoughts and personal experiences would be appreciated.

Kat
:?:
Meet katzand
  •  

Re: Top 5 Best Dog Foods of 2012

Postby goldenkris » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:58 am

here's my .02 on this one...

You need to do your research and feed what your dog does best on, not on what some blog about pets labels as their #1 food.

I really like the website http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/ - here you are able to do some homework on different foods. It teaches you how to read the label and choose what is best for your dog and grades a variety of foods on a 6 point scale.

Some find TOTW to be too protein rich for their dogs and they get diarrhea on it, others thrive. What works for one dog doesn't always work for another. You're doing well by feeding blue, if your dog has a healthy coat, no allergies, has energy, good teeth and no indigestion I would see no reason to switch.

I have dogs that are prone to having grain allergies so I just feed a grain free food. I rotate their foods to give them a variety of protein sources since they've not shown any protein allergies. Not all dogs have the stomach for that either though :)
Meet goldenkris
  •  

Postby Spanish_mom » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:30 pm

goldenkris wrote:here's my .02 on this one...

You need to do your research and feed what your dog does best on, not on what some blog about pets labels as their #1 food.

I really like the website http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/ - here you are able to do some homework on different foods. It teaches you how to read the label and choose what is best for your dog and grades a variety of foods on a 6 point scale.

Some find TOTW to be too protein rich for their dogs and they get diarrhea on it, others thrive. What works for one dog doesn't always work for another. You're doing well by feeding blue, if your dog has a healthy coat, no allergies, has energy, good teeth and no indigestion I would see no reason to switch.

I have dogs that are prone to having grain allergies so I just feed a grain free food. I rotate their foods to give them a variety of protein sources since they've not shown any protein allergies. Not all dogs have the stomach for that either though :)

Hi Goldenkris,
I agree with you that you should see what your dog does best with vs. reading something on a blog. I am currently trying to go to that link that you provided, but it is not loading for me. Maybe the link is bad? Does it work for you?
Meet Spanish_mom
  •  

Postby BoxerMom » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:33 pm

Taste of the Wild and Earthborn or just two of the grain free high protein foods. They are extremely good for any dog with cancer or immune deficiencies. I know this because I have done about 10 tons of research and have a 3 year old boxer that had an immune deficiency as a puppy. He was then diagnosed with mast cell cancer just before turning 2 year old. You might want to talk to a professional or veterinarian before putting your dog on any food with more than 30% protein. As I say to all my friends who are searching for a good dog food... READ THE INGREDIENTS THEN READ THE LEVELS OF NUTRIENTS. I cannot stress this enough.
Meet BoxerMom
  •  

Postby suzanemart » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:20 am

I give my dog baneful. Hes been getting it since he was created. Hes healthier as ever.

Natural dog food
Meet suzanemart
  •  

Postby k9goodfood123 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:52 am

Wow, congrats to your dog food top 5.

For more information check this out at best dog food
Meet k9goodfood123
  •  

Postby esoQsell » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:21 am

I have the same problem.