Welcome to PEOPLE Pets!

From diet to stomach bugs, talk about dog health here

Re: Odd Behavior - Dog Chews Paws

Postby cuse61 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:30 pm

My 6 year old Maltese has the same problem....soak her paws in white vingaur deluted with water. It works!
Meet cuse61
  •  

Postby netwarrior007 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:58 am

The part were your dog chews his paws needs adressing. He needs some basic Dog Training and you can benefit with some valuable info here www.lifeofdog.com
Last edited by netwarrior007 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meet netwarrior007
  •  

Postby Kimdwright2 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:52 pm

Our dog chews her paws too. She has a grass allergy. Our other dog is a Leonberger and has lots of fur between his toes that holds moisture in and his paws get raw. Our vet has us do an epsom(sp?) salt bath. We just fill the tub with some warm water and follow the dosing instructions on the bag. He stands in the water for a bit. He loves it because he feels so much better. I would be very cautious on giving grapeseed to a dog, grapes/raisins are toxic to dogs, ask your vet first for that. I would test your dog for each of the things everyone has mentioned one at a time until you find a solution. It could be any one of the things mentioned, even fleas! Good luck and hope you find some relief soon! Ask you vet too if it could be a yeast infection. When they chew, and the area is constantly wet and moisture gets trapped in there yeast can cause a problem too. You would need meds for that.
Meet Kimdwright2
  •  

Postby myfriendmydog » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:34 pm

Our dog did that too. He would chew at his front wrist area until finally there was a raised and raw callous. The vet said it was a "lick granuloma" meaning he had licked it enough that it became a thickened patch which became infected. He's a large dog and 7 years old. The vet said it is quite often an emotional thing, like being left alone or feeling stressed. He was put on antibiotics for 2 weeks and he stopped licking it and it pretty much went away. After that I found a small spot in the centre that had some ingrown hairs in it. Quite a few actually. I used my tweezers and pulled out dozens. It healed over and so far it hasn't come back. We keep an eye on him and stop him from licking, as a habit, and so far so good!
Meet myfriendmydog
  •  

Postby bkd0001 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:12 am

We see alot of cases and not to exclude my bichon that chews on his feet occassionally. All the postings relating to allergies are accurate. Alot of times, the pet food companies will change their ingredients and you wont know when they do so its very important to recheck the labels. Alot of diets are adding more yellow corn and most dogs are allergic to yellow corn, corn meal and alot of grains. The benadryl is a good substitute but for long term, consult your veterinarian.
Meet bkd0001
  •  

Postby jonyboker » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:08 am

I would try switching her dog foods. I transformed my dog's foodstuff and her indications went away in about 2 many weeks. it was my dog was allergic to lamb and dairy . thanks.
Meet jonyboker
  •  

Postby Gloria14 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:01 am

Dog chewing his paws excessively can cause health problems by removing the fur, creating soreness with raw patches, and risk skin infections by breaking the skin. Excessive paw chewing can be a sign of a physical problem or the start of a behaviour problem.
Meet Gloria14
  •  

Postby DogHelp » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:44 am

same problem with my Dog. Vet told us, this is probably stress. But what can i do to STOP this behavior?
Meet DogHelp
From http://www.krainapsa.pl
  •  

Postby janiceandrews » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:54 pm

The itching is from a systemic yeast problem in your dog - it is from eating food that are not grain free and have wheat in them - believe me! our family dog cost us over thousand dollars and was given prednisone and all types of allergy pills which did not work, it was his diet, milkbones are the worst! we immediately purchased a kit from Nyzmes.com, it is a website dedicated to the health of animals, it worked on our shelty, he was so covered in sores and smelled so bad from the constant itching, within months he had his hair grow back again, he got worst before he got better as the yeast and toxin was being removed from his body, if you are canadian there are canadian distributors on the website, you will not have to therefore pay duty - TRUST ME, this is the only thing that will help your animal, also on the website they recommend certain types of foods! good luck to you all, your pet will love you for doing this! it is not expensive either!
Meet janiceandrews
  •  

Postby suzanemart » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:55 am

Check the paw for anything that might be in the pad part of her paw. She could have a spur, cut, or splinter. If nothing she might be allergic to something. I would take her to the vet to to be on the safe side if she doesn't have a spur or cut.

Natural dog food
Meet suzanemart
  •  

PreviousNext

Return to Dog Nutrition & Health