Welcome to PEOPLE Pets!

Talk about your cat's confusing or frustrating bathroom behavior here

Re: Litter Box has an awful odor even after changed?

Postby petfriend89 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:38 pm

Could the litter box smells be the fault of the litter box itself?

Dog crate covers
Meet petfriend89
  •  

Postby mylazygardenerguy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:09 pm

I have struggled with this problem also, only have one cat but with kids work, and just what life throws you on a day to day its very difficult to scoop everyday. I am using a system called Purrfect Air Litter box which uses a house plant to consume the odors as they are created in the box, I am lucky enough to have a pre-market prototype because it will not be available until March 2013. A very small air pump takes the air out of the box and pushes it through the plants roots through a special watering system that keeps the roots and soil damp, the odors are consumed by the bacteria living in the roots of the plants. Its very cool. no smell at all even when the cat poops because the small pump does not let the odors out into the house, it pulls them into the plant.
Meet mylazygardenerguy
  •  

Postby purr.fect » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:02 pm

Go to your local Walmart. Buy MIMI Litter; it is the best. :mrgreen: You will never go back to scoopable of any kind once you try it. [ I am a Walmart Associate, so I've tried them all. ]
It is porous silica sand and is white & blue crystals. It comes in 4 lb. bags only, it is very lightweight, and with only 1 cat it is supposed to LAST A MONTH! It's just $4.17 a bag. I have 3 kitties & 2 litter boxes and I change mine out totally about every 10 days. Some Walmart's do not carry it, in fact the one I work at quit selling it a few weeks ago & now I have to go to another store to buy it. It is also sold on-line. I think you will love it like my 3 meows & I do. - I just wash out the litter boxes with Dawn and very warm water between changings & sometimes use "Scrubbing Bubbles" foaming bathroom cleaner in the litter boxes too.

If that does not do it, toss out the litter boxes and buy new ones. They may have permanently embedded bad odors in them from continuous use.
Meet purr.fect
  •  

Postby catlady » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:00 pm

Try Nature's Miracle Crystal cat litter. I've tried them all and it works the best!
Meet catlady
  •  

Postby bloomiesgrl » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:44 pm

The best thing I ever did was purchase a automatic litter box. It takes a bit of getting used to, but in the long run the box is raked clean 15 minutes after use. I do not have any problems with odor. I started using it when my kitten was about 3 months old. It says to wait, but I could not wait. This actually made her a very clean cat because she does not make a mess at all. I just have to remember to empty the holder every few days. The bags are not expensive and let me tell you, I use a lot less litter this way too. I was just tossing out the whole box come trash day...now just the bag. It was the best money I have every spent.....
Meet bloomiesgrl
  •  

Postby bloomiesgrl » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:45 pm

Then box I use is smart scoop with name brand clumping litter..... the one in the purple bag,
Meet bloomiesgrl
  •  

Postby catmax » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:27 pm

I've been looking for years for something that works - have 3 cats in one box! New thing I just found works really well, it doesn't have any scent it just completely took the odor away and I added it to litter that was several days in the box. I got it on Amazon.com - NonScents Odor Control additive for litter. Looks like regular litter but you just add a little to your regular litter. I got it first as a free sample as they just introduced the product (think the free sample is still available). I'm going to keep using this.
Meet catmax
  •  

Postby Lori2182 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:21 pm

I can't stand litter box smells and I have 10 cats. I know, I know...I didn't start out with that many but ended up agreeing to rescue 1 that had been dumped out in the woods at only 6 months old and was nearly starved to death. I had 3 others at the time and thought I could manage to take in just 1 more. About a month later, my husband tells me there is a mother and 6 kittens living under his building at his job. They are feral cats and unfortunately, where he works, the solution is trap and euthanize. We ended up rescuing the lot of them with the intention of taming them and then finding good homes. After hearing horror stories of people posing to give them good homes only to use them for bait in dog fights, we decided we'd keep them. They're all fixed and stay in the house. 1 of my original cats passed away last month at almost 19 years old, so now I am down to 10 cats. Anyway, I have 8 litter boxes in different areas of my house so that it is convenient for any of them to use at any time but not out in any main areas. I have an empty Tidy Cat, cat litter, container next to each box with a scoop. I use those containers because you can shut them well. I make the rounds scooping each litter box in the morning and then again in the evening (frequent scooping helps make your litter last longer as well as making it deep enough so that you don't have to scrape the soiled litter off the bottom of the litter pan). Twice a week on garbage night, we empty the litter containers with the soiled litter in them. I use the carpet deodorizer scented baking soda every couple of days and mix it into the remaining litter. You can't tell I even have 1 cat in my house (unless you see them). If I can get 7 feral cats to use the litter box and not care about the carpet deodorizer, in addition to my other 3 cats, I think it's a system that will work well for anyone. I also keep a mini whisk broom with its mini dust pan on top of the empty litter containers so I can spot sweep each area of spilled litter - putting it right back into the litter box. I hope that helps!
Meet Lori2182
  •  

Postby fifatime » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:50 am

feel so cold, and this time, don't wear down, wait until the rest or while camping en route, put on the jacket sleeve, you can conserve body heat is not lost.
fifa 15 coins xbox
fifa 15 coins ps4
Meet fifatime
  •  

Previous

Return to Litter Box Issues