Welcome to PEOPLE Pets!

Talk about your cat's confusing or frustrating bathroom behavior here

Re: Litter Box has an awful odor even after changed?

Postby lauradar » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:01 pm

I put an open box of baking soda near our cats' litterboxes. It really does eliminate the odor. I've read charcoal works even better but I haven't tried that. Be careful about using a carpet deodorizer in the litterbox. My mom tried that years ago and the cat starting going on the carpets because they smelled the same.

About once a month, we dump all the litter and scrub out the box. It really makes a difference! And, if it's an older litterbox, you might want to try replacing it. Over time, the plastic will retain odors even after scrubbing. Good luck!
Meet lauradar
  •  

Postby shirlai0703 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:49 pm

I've tried using regular cat litter, but having to change the entire box every time it needs to be cleaned actually ends up costing more than the clumping litter, and it just stinks! I've found the best and most cost effective way to keep the litter box clean and sans smells is to use a good quality scoopable litter found at any big box store (my fav is Fresh Step-scented). With 2 cats scooping it out just once a day using dog doo bags and throwing out right away keeps all smells pretty much at bay! Dont's save it in a garbage can :???: , that defeats the purpose of scooping it out other than to please the cats-this will do nothing for getting rid of the smell! I keep the litter box in my bathroom, so just keep a small broom and dust pan tucked away for the scattered litter in between cleanings! This method works great! My bf says he thought all people's homes that cats lived in stunk...till he came to mine! He couldn't smell a thing and I actually had to show him where the litter box was the 1st time he came over!
Meet shirlai0703
  •  

Postby caysue » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:19 pm

I agree with the posts about using Arm & Hammer deodorizer in the litter. It has really helped. I scoop twice a day and use the doggie doo doo bags. I also bought a used diaper genie from 2nd hand store and put the bags in that so I'm not leaving them in my trash can. Have to empty the diaper genie once a week when I clean the litter box and add fresh litter. This is my first cat and the smell was really getting to me before I tried this - now even my dog friends don't comment on the cat smell.
Meet caysue
  •  

Try Elsey's "Cat Attract"

Postby moorpheus » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:18 am

I absolutely LOVED World's Best Cat Litter (aka WBCL) and always clean at least twice a day, more if I'm around. I have 3 litter pans for my two cats.

After a couple of weeks, our WBCL starts to smell sour. Not bad. Perhaps the corn degrades a bit from the watering (haha). But, it didn't seem to bother the cats.

Suddenly, male cat stopped using litterbox. His pH was fine but my carpet was not. I changed out the litter for new, fresh pans of WBCL. He wouldn't go in.

Not wanting to give him away, I suddenly remembered catinfo.org and their recommendation of Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter. It was worth a try.

As soon as I bought it (cheaper than WBCL) I changed the litter yet again, and both cats fought to get in to pee! They LOVE it.

All 3 boxes are now "Cat Attract" boxes and there has been no more out-of-box peeing. No smell (of course, I clean frequently). No sourness (it has been 3 weeks).

It gets even better: there is virtually NO dust/powder to coat my walls and furniture. The vacuum or swivel sweeper gets up the little traced pieces.

I'm a total fan so far and I totally recommend it!
Meet moorpheus
  •  

Litter Box has an awful odor even after changed?

Postby RFussell » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Periodically pour vinegar in the empty litter box, let soak for a couple of hours and rinse. The vinegar nuetralizes residual odor.

As for the litter itself; I finally found the perfect one. It is dust free, odor free and scoop free. It is the cyrstal litter. The crystals actually absorb the urine; the crystals turn yellow so it is easy to tell when it is time to change them. It is not the cheapest litter but by far the best.
Meet RFussell
  •  

Postby netwarrior007 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:06 pm

nimrah234 wrote:my kittens litter box always smells horrible and everyone is always complaining about it! help?!?!?1

Does your litter box have sand in it, because i would suggest a litter box with sand in it and try training her to using it. Naturally cats like to dig in the soil and then litter, i am saying this because the cat usually covers it with sand and the smells will be buried too. Hope it helps. More info on www.lifeofdog.com
Meet netwarrior007
  •  

Postby cherylpost » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:37 am

I read this post and the replies and saw myself there just a few years ago. I too used the "World's Best Litter" and liked it even more because it was flushable and biodegradable - so much easier to clean every time one of my cats used it. Unfortunately I moved and had trouble finding it, so had to revert to "old" litter. So yucky!! Then I saw an ad for CatGenie (CatGenie.com), bought one and have been using it ever since - best invention EVER for cat owners and their cats. I call it my 'cat toilet,' and my cats took to it very quickly. It uses reusable & biodegradable granules in the 'bowl' and automatically washes the bowl & granules 10 minutes after every visit by one of my cats & flushes it out through your own toilet! I even hooked it up by myself. Never a bad smell and never messy to clean. I promise I have no connection with CatGenie other than as a very satisfied customer who can't help singing their praises after years of battling the litter box. Cost of supplies is less than I was spending on litter too. :D
Meet cherylpost
  •  

Postby 3kittymama » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:53 am

I would absolutely get the kitten checked out to make sure he or she is healthy, but I've had cats for 30 years, and ever since it came on the market, I swear by ScoopAway cat litter. My cats like it, and even if I forget to scoop the used litter out, it does not smell up the room that the litter box is in. I don't have to add anything to it, it just works. Cherylpost, I would love to try the CatGenie, but it's a little pricey for me. I know it works; I have friends who use one for their cat, but I have had wonderful success with the ScoopAway.
Meet 3kittymama
  •  

Postby platliza » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:52 pm

I use the kind of litter that granulates itself when my cat pees so its really easy to scoop the pee balls :) Once ot twice a day is enough and I also add once a week more litter to compensate the quantity. That way the box stays clean and fresh all the time. twice a month I change completely the litter and wash the box with bleach. No smell at all! :cool:
Meet platliza
  •  

Postby women8903 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:10 pm

I would just add arm and hammer baking soda to the littter you are currently using. It is a cheap why to de-orderize the litter box. :D
Meet women8903
  •  

PreviousNext

Return to Litter Box Issues