Welcome to PEOPLE Pets!

Talk about your cat's confusing or frustrating bathroom behavior here

Re: Litter Box has an awful odor even after changed?

Postby Chameleon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:47 pm

Ever Clean EverFresh is the absolute best litter for odor control. It has charcoal in it, and that seems to really do the trick. I have three very large, indoor male cats, and there is no litter box smell in my house. I scoop my litter boxes at least twice a day, and I do not dump them out. I used to dump them, but it was too difficult and expensive with the large boxes that I use. I do wipe down the sides of the boxes with bleach or alcohol. I am not a fan of powdered deodorizers because your cat is inhaling the powder each time he digs in the box. Finally, keep in mind that super stinky poop may be the result of dietary issues. Your kitten or cat may have a problem with the food you're feeding. Check with your vet and please put some research into the food that you are feeding because there is a lot of bad pet food on the market.
Meet Chameleon
  •  

Postby SuzanneC » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:36 am

I have 3 cats, 2 litterboxes that are covered (but no door flaps). I use Arm & Hammer litter and also a product called "Sweet PDZ". You can read about it here:

http://www.sweetpdz.com/

It is very inexpensive (around $9-10 for a 25 lb. bag). I just sprinkle about 1/2 - 3/4 cup in with fresh litter and mix it in well.

You can find it at feed stores that carry horse supplies.
Meet SuzanneC
  •  

Postby inesita » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:08 pm

DO NOT use carpet deodorizer in the litter box !!!!! The cats lick their paws and will ingest the chemicals!!!!!! I f you need to use anything use plain baking soda (Walmart sells a detergent sized box) spread a layer at the bottom below the cat litter and scoop out daily.. I have 4 cats and have used Fresh Step extreme odor for 4 years no odor!!!
Meet inesita
  •  

Postby luky013 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:14 pm

my cat is 11 years old. i use SCOOP AWAY UNSCENTED and i never have any odor. unless your cat is having digestive issues there should be no odor. its all i use. i love it. give it a try. unscented not always easy to find but i get at my local A & P or sometimes shoprite. i buy nothing else.
Meet luky013
  •  

Postby wittwerba » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:26 pm

I switched to World's Best and know why it's called this - it is the World's Best. I've tried all other litters and nothing works as best as this, it's better for the environment and doesn't hurt your cat, and I don't see hardly any, if any, dust coming off. I was on a quest for the best clumping litter and finally found it by accident while watching a friend's cat. Yes, it's a bit more expensive but you don't have to change it as often. I refresh it every two weeks and change it out completely every 2 months. This depends on number of cats using. I have only one. I can't use liners because my cat shreds them so I thoroughly wash the litter box between changes with Dawn. If this doesn't eliminate the odor that's set in the plastic box, then I buy a new one every so often or use the biodegradable disposable boxes. They are good for one to two full cycles of litter use. To minimize odor use clumping litter and scoop it 2-3 times per day to make it last longer without odor. Even those with the best odor control or even using baking soda will only work for so long if you don't keep a clean litter box. Think of it as would you not want to flush your toilet after several uses? All the other litters mentioned I have found to have high dust content even if they say 99% dust free and leave a dust film on everything. Litter made from organic materials is better for your cat, you and your home.
Meet wittwerba
  •  

Postby hamsterandsmall » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Throw out the litter box. Have you thought of potty training your cat...Yes it can be done and quite easily. I have on my website the best training product for people who are sick of the litter box. I have to say it does work many people who have gotten it with skepticism have emailed me with the thanks and happiness that no more cat boxes have to be used. If you are interested check out my website and let me know what you think. hamsterandsmallpets.com in the cat section you will find the potty trainer. Thanks I truly hope this helps.
Meet hamsterandsmall
  •  

Postby StarThrower50 » Thu May 03, 2012 9:32 am

First off, are you washing your box out when you change it? DON'T USE LYSOL, it's toxic to cats! Just plain soap and hot water can make a big difference in how the litter pan smells.

What type of litter are you using? I've found the scoopable varieties MUCH better in controlling odor. I was out of my regular brand the other day so I used some "Feline Pine" I'd bought some time ago. Phew! I didn't realize just how much difference scoopable littler makes! I was back to my regular litter in two days!

While several people have commented about Arm & Hammer litterbox products, I find them just too flowery and too expensive. What I started using several years ago and have been thrilled with is adding about a cup of plain baking soda to the litter pan and mixing it with Tidy Cat Scoopable. It's MUCH cheaper (Sam's Club sells 14 pound bags of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda that are much cheaper than the small boxes) and now I have virtually no urine smell.

One other thought though... I've had a problem with my cats peeing over the edge of the box. It caused a very smelly situation until I realized what was happening. A second littlebox, preferably one that's deeper, underneath the one containing the litter will help, especially if you line it with newspaper and sprinkle some baking soda on top before placing the filled litterbox inside it.

Now if someone would please tell me how to keep my cats from kicking litter EVERYWHERE? I tried a hooded box but cats lower on the pecking order kept getting trapped in the box by their more aggressive brothers and sisters; then they wouldn't go into it at all. I've also tried the litter collection mats (at over $25 each!) but they didn't work all that well and several cats thought they made great scratching surfaces, destroying the mats in no time.
Meet StarThrower50
  •  

Postby Meixioumau » Thu May 17, 2012 12:42 pm

Try using the cat litter crystals, they absorb the urine and break it down so there is no smell. I've been using this since I got my kitten 12 years ago and the stuff lasts 30 days if you scoop the poop. it also drys the poop up quickly so that smell goes away also. There are many different brands out there. Depending on where you live, Ebay also has them.

If you do decide to try the crystals, start by mixing a little of your current litter with the crystals until you cat gets use to it.

Best of of Luck
Meet Meixioumau
  •  

Postby pamela_peavler54 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:10 pm

gigiandbaxter wrote:So, you change the boxes twice a day?!? That's a crazy amount of changing. Doesn't scooping do the trick?

I've found arm and hammer and, cleaning the box daily works. I also have a covered box with a filter on top that I think helps.
Meet pamela_peavler54
  •  

Postby victoria » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:28 pm

I use the pine pellets cat litter sold at Walmart. Inexpensive and never smells. Hope this helps.
Meet victoria
  •  

PreviousNext

Return to Litter Box Issues