Welcome to PEOPLE Pets!

Losing a cat is like losing a family member. Find support among friends here   

Loss of My 17 year Companion Miskin

Postby Mainelee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:34 pm

Miskin was a Seal Point Siamese cat who was born on 06/07/94. She was the runt of the litter and not expected to live. I met Miskin shortly after she was born and she fit in the palm of my hand.

I have always believed that cats pick their humans because they can sense their compassion and their ability to love. It was that way with Miskin and me and when I brought her home at 8 weeks of age. She was such a tiny thing, but had a ferocious temper with my other cat. I took Miskin into my room and fixed her a bed and set her up with food, water, litter box, and a few toys. Our first night together she jumped up on my bed, crawled under the covers, and slept in the crook of my right knee and left thigh; something she did to the day i had to have her euthanized due to serious thyroid and kidney disease,

She had been on medication for a few years, but as she grew older it seemed the sicker she got. After many trips to the vets, changing medications, etc; I just could not handle the thought of how much
missy and me.jpg
she was suffering. Her last night as my companion i had to pick her up so she could sleep on my bed. Once settled down, she got up and came and stood by my shoulder and whimpered; she looked straight into my eyes with such a piercing glance that i could almost here here say to me, "Dear friend, please help me to stop suffering from the diseases and the pain!"

The next morning i awoke and called our veterinarian and told her that Miskin had taken a sudden turn for the worse. Within 15 minutes we were at her office. The Vet examined Miskin and quite emotionally told me that she thought it was Miskin's time, but the decision was up to me! I held Miskin in my arms and just knew that the vet was right and I talked to Miskin through a shower of tears as I explained to her what I was doing.

After a few minutes the vet came in with a syringe and as I held my beloved Miskin in my arms, caressed her head, and told her how much I loved her, the vet injected the life-ending medication directly into her kidney. Miskin did not go down easily, which made it all that more painful for me, she growled (something she did not ever do in 17 years) a few times and I slowly felt the life leave her petite little body.

I sat their holding her lifeless body for over 20 minutes until i just could not take the pain and crying any longer. The removed her from my arms and returned a short time later with her blanket and carrier cage. I made arrangements with my vet fora private cremation and asked that her ashes be put in an urn.

Aster two weeks, I still could not go to get my precious companion's ashes so I arranged for my Son to go pick up remains at the Vet. I was so thrilled to see such a beautiful urn inscribed with her name, a lovely glazed plaster mold of her front right foot, and a very touching card from each of the vets and employees of the veterinary practice.

It has now been over a month since I lost my truest companion and I still can feel her presence in my room and at times I even feel her jump up on my bed and lay down beside me. I feel her presence every day and know that Miskin is on the other side waiting for the time when I pass-on and join her - She will be waiting for me that I know and feel!

Miskin, I miss you so very very much, but I want you to know that Cassidy and Sophia (my young granddaughters) got me a new companion whose name is Chloe. She is a Tortie Point Siamese and is such a comfort to me, though she can not and will not ever replace you in my heart and soul!

I Love You Miskin and miss you more than I can say

Daddy
Want to enjoy cute photos posted here? Sign-up or login to view!
Meet Mainelee
  •  

Re: Loss of My 17 year Companion Miskin

Postby LaMimi » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:01 pm

What a beautiful post. I just want to advise you about requesting something if and when you ever have to let another sweet baby go. My vet has given my babies a sedative prior to the euthanizing injection which will allow them to feel little to no discomfort from the second, life ending medication. Or, if it is something you may want to ask many years prior to the euthanasia, what does the vet use to euthanize? Some vets just give an overdose of anesthesia versus the other medication which is probably a bit more gentle as well.
I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you take comfort in knowing that you obviously gave your kitty a wonderful life and if you have not already, it would be a blessing to rescue another kitty who needs you.
Meet LaMimi
  •  

Return to Loss/Grief for Cat Owners