Welcome to PEOPLE Pets!

Talk about your cat's confusing or frustrating bathroom behavior here

Litter Box has an awful odor even after changed?

Postby nimrah234 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:16 pm

my kittens litter box always smells horrible and everyone is always complaining about it! help?!?!?1
Meet nimrah234
  •  

Re: Litter Box has an awful odor even after changed?

Postby jess69sx » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:45 am

I use Arm and Hammer Cat Litter Deodorizer. Put some in the bottom before new litter and on top on the clean litter. no more smell
Meet jess69sx
  •  

Postby vortex2 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:59 am

I perform litter box duty at least twice a day, simply to keep kitty happy. Hopefully, the box is located somewhere easily accessible and within sight, possibly where you pass nearby several times a day (this serves as an easy reminder). I empty the litter (scoopable) into a small, empty, plastic bag lined trash can like the kind you would find in your bathroom. Makes easy for taking out to the trash once it starts to get too full.

Having the litter box in the bathroom might work well, unless your kitty scatters litter on to the floor (like mine does). Like another reader commented, the Arm and Hammer product works well; but for cost effectiveness, I have found that Arm and Hammer Carpet Deodorizer (there is one for Pet Odors but not necessary), works equally as well. You get more of the product for less money.

Procedure: Scoop out the litter and clear out a broad path to the bottom, then sprinkle a generous portion across the bottom of the box before putting more litter in or respreading what litter remains back over top (either way as needed). Doing this 'as a habit' should eventually remove any residual odors. Might want to see how clean the box is and maybe start out fresh with a thoroughly cleaned box (do NOT line the box with a plastic litter box liner!). Those are a major FAIL and are messy as well a 'smelly' especially when it comes to urine.

The only downfall to this technique of adding the deodorizer might be that your kitty (kitties??!) might be offended by the smell that is so pleasant to humans. in which case, basic baking soda might do the trick, although I've never had a need to resort to it.

With the past two cats I've had over the years it has not been a problem at all. They have not be offended by the 'pleasant odor' like I've read from time to time in some 'how to' email cat care newsletters or online web sites. Stephen (and Lola) ;)
Meet vortex2
  •  

Postby izzyneon28 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:39 pm

try switching to a different brand of litter. Tidy cats scoopable litter works best. It helps get rid of odors and bacteria that can grow in your cats litter box. you can also find coupons on the net. Be careful about using deodorizers because sometimes it can cause allergic reactions because it gets in between their paws.
Meet izzyneon28
  •  

Postby mem70 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:02 pm

nimrah234 wrote:my kittens litter box always smells horrible and everyone is always complaining about it! help?!?!?1

Please have the kitty cked by a vet to see if she has an urinary track infection.
Meet mem70
  •  

Postby Jenncatlady » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:27 am

We have three cats and the secret is having more than one litterbox and changing the litter at least twice a day!! Also as other people said, they don't always like strong smelling things in their box so I also use Arm and Hammer Litter or Tidy Cat for Multiple Cat Households. I also put just plain baking soda mixed good in with the litter and that seems to help!!

Hopefully these tips help you! And last you may have to change their food or take them to the vet to make sure everything checks out with your Kittys!! Good Luck!!
Meet Jenncatlady
  •  

Postby gigiandbaxter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:00 am

So, you change the boxes twice a day?!? That's a crazy amount of changing. Doesn't scooping do the trick?
Meet gigiandbaxter
From Brooklyn, New York, Unite, NY
  •  

Postby MMAAAS » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:26 pm

I SWITCHED TO THE LITTER CALLED "WORLDS BEST" IT IS MADE FROM GROUND CORN. IT IS EXPENSIVE BUT IS SOOOO WORTH IT. THERE IS NO ODOR WHAT SO EVER! AND EVEN IF NOT CHANGED REGULARLY IT DOES NOT SMELL.
Meet MMAAAS
  •  

Postby Barten » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:43 pm

crazy !

Tera Gold
Meet Barten
  •  

Postby kittiemama » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:01 pm

I have 11 kitties, so I completely understand about the smell, however, I've been able to make sure we don't have that nasty smell EVER!

we dump the boxes once a week (we have 3 boxes, so its some work) and we take them out in the backyard and wash them out... we use dawn dishsoap and a scrub brush, make sure you run the scrub brush all around it, rinse, and repeat... we then take bleach bout 1/4 cup, and take the scrub brush and scrub the box with the bleach, rinse & then wash again with the dish soap... dry it out, put cat litter deodorizer on the bottom or regular baking soda, and then apply litter... and once a day (with the exception of the day we put the fresh litter in) we just mix in some more deodorizer... try to scoop the box whenever your kitty/kitties go potty to help reduce the smell that can come from them and make sure you dump the box around the same time every week!

Hope this helps you :)
Meet kittiemama
  •  

Next

Return to Litter Box Issues