Welcome to PEOPLE Pets!

From diet to stomach bugs, talk about dog health here

Odd Behavior - Dog Chews Paws

Postby chickennugget » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:05 pm

My dog has a tendency to get preoccupied with her paws, and I have no idea what the issue is. She licks or chews on her paws, sometimes even higher up her legs, and often gets very preoccupied with them. It seems like they might be itchy, but I'm not sure. Is it just an anxious behavior, or is there something else going on? Is there something I can do to keep her from doing this?
Meet chickennugget
  •  

Re: Odd Behavior - Dog Chews Paws

Postby crissy82 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:19 am

My dog does the same thing. I asked the vet about it. She said it is allergies. Try giving your dog benedryl. You can give 1 milligram per 1 pound of the dog's weight. Up to 3 times a day. Example: a 30 lb dog should be given 30 mg of this medication up to three times per day. If that doesn't help then I would take your dog to the vet. Benedryl doesn't work on some dogs (learned that from my dog) so they may have to prescribe your dog another type of allergy pill.
Meet crissy82
  •  

Postby esimms333 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:54 pm

My dog did the same thing. I took her to the vet and they said it was allergies. I would try switching her dog food. I changed my dog's food and her symptoms went away in about 2 weeks. It turned out my dog was allergic to lamb and dairy (main components in my old dog food), but as soon as I switched dog food she was a lot better. Good luck!
Meet esimms333
  •  

Postby shelbeeray » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:04 am

The posters are correct, 99% of the time the allergy is to dog food. Most dogs do not respond well to several grains. Most commercial foods include grains such as corn as fillers and many dogs cannot digest these grains.

Dogs can become allergic to the most common ingredients in dog foods, such as chicken or lamb as well.

I have always owned rescue dogs and every single one has had allergies.

I now only feed low grain (30% or less, usually brown rice for the grain) or no grain dog foods and vary the meat types. Do not buy foods that say "beef product", purchase dog foods that clearly state what is in them, and if there is corn of any type, walk away.

Sometimes the quality dog foods cost more, BUT I have found that my dogs eat less (because the calories in high protein foods can be utilized properly and fully), they poop less and the poop isn't as smelly (of course it still stinks!) Their coats are healthier too.

Remember, none of this does any good if you are still feeding your dog garbage treats like milkbones. There are a lot of healthy treats, even at discount stores that are 100% meat - usually dehydrated liver or chicken.

Good luck. It's not a matter of being snobby about food, but making sure your dog is healthy and comfortable.
Meet shelbeeray
  •  

Postby mochicks » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:22 pm

Don't only assume that it is an allergy. Depending on your location and if the dog goes outside, it could be ticks. Seed ticks, which are smaller than a pinhead are very bad in our area right now. My dog was also chewing on her paws and legs and upon closer inspection I found the ticks. They are hard to spot until they have been feasting for a while and get plump.

It may still be the allergy, but before changing food or other things, eliminate the enviromental possibilities first.
Meet mochicks
  •  

Postby judymomofsix » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:24 pm

As a 35 year dog groomer I saw this so many times, and many thought it was food allergies, but that would cover the entire body. Think about it the feet, when you walk your dog all over everyones grass that fertilize and use weed killer all those poisons get into their systems mostly in their feet. Then if you think of it you wipe them off with a damp cloth for 30 seconds making the poison liquid more easy to get into their blood system. It is burning their feet and they chew and chew it burns more so they rub them on the carpet, then chew more they sometimes bleed, oops time to walk them again, right past the same neighbors grass. Solution walk your dog in your own natural yard no poisons no fertilizer and no sore paws. Make sense? Try it your pet will love you. I am right.
Meet judymomofsix
  •  

Postby castle » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:33 pm

My dog is 12 years old and has had allergies for quite a few years. She was known to chew her paws alot and scratch alot , around her eyes and stomach. She would scratch so much she would get sore spots and they would bleed. What I have found works best is getting them on the right dog food but most important I use a product call'd Fresh Factors from a company called , Springtime Inc 800-521-3212. They are a chewable pill you can give orally or break it up and put them in there food. With the proper dosage within a week you will see a difference and it will also make there hair extremely soft. I swear by this product. It is not that expensive, and if you order more then one you will get two free. They also have a product for dogs with joint problems, and products for people and horses. Believe me this really works!

Mrs Castle
Meet castle
  •  

Postby tylerjones553 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:40 am

I think you should See your Vet it can be some nutrition deficiency or u can check that the area where ur dog lick or chew it can have Tick or fleas You can use dog products like frontline to cure that.
Meet tylerjones553
  •  

Postby PlantpalShirley » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:07 am

Or possibly, your pup is simply bored. When does thebehaviour manifest itself?

Or possibly, she's is signalling she's anxious; our newly adopted rescue spent a lot of time in a kennel. she only pees when her feet are wet....she gets on her paws when she needs to go pee.

We are working on interrupting the behaviour by making sure she's engaged...special toys she only gets when we are playing together, chewing on her bully stick, chewing on her kong, etc. Maybe make sure she has other, delicious things to chew. Some dogs just need to chew. Distract, distract, distract..and praise her when she is chewing something appropriate.

Other posters have offered some great things to research, as well. Try everything (one thing at a time, though!!). Check out all the health related things first, of course.

Regarding allergies. My friend has a Jack Russel she purched when the dog was two. She had terrible allergies. Awful. My friend put her on a good kibble and turkey neck diet. She sprinkled GRAPE SEED (powder in a capsule, break open over food) and her dogs skin issues cleared up dramatically. When the dog occasionally has a breakout, it's back to the grape seed powder and within a couple of days, the dog is no longer frantically gnawing, scratching, itching behaviours.

Good luck!
gh
Meet PlantpalShirley
  •  

Postby Edie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:41 pm

Please, before any drastic changes such as dietary changes and or (especially) medicating your dogs, think about taking them for a chiropractic adjustment. Please take a moment to consider this information as it may be the key to your pet's good health. Not only can people benefit from chiropratic care, but so can your pets. They have a spine which houses their nervous system. Every organ and fibre of their body is controlled through their nervous system. If they have any kind of blockage, such as a pinched nerve, their system is thrown off. I have been taking my dogs to a chiropractor for about 7 years now. I first went because my one dog had a limp she just couldn't seem to get over and the vet wasn't able to pin point any problem. By the time I did take her to the chiropractor she had already suffered muscle loss. I am happy to say that after her first adjustment the limp was gone and shortly after that her muscle began to rebuild. Every so often my dogs will begin licking their paws for no apparent reason. I take them for an adjustment and then they are fine. Dogs are very busy and playful. They do a lot of jumping, rolling and playing around. They are bound to injure themselves, but can't always express to you what the injury is. Picture yourself with a stiff neck and now one of your arms is a bit numb or tingly. You have pinched a nerve in your neck. You get a chiropractic adjustment to get everything back in place and the numbness goes away. The way a dog deals with numbness or tingles is to lick at it constantly. They just need to get an adjustment to get everything working right again. This is becoming more and more mainstream these days. Just google it to get additional information. You can either go to a "people" chiropractor who has taken their veterinary course to be certified or to a Vet who has been certified in their chiropractic course. Either one will help you to get your pet back on track to a healthy life.
Meet Edie
  •  

Next

Return to Dog Nutrition & Health